Thursday, January 14, 2010

The dreaded 9pm-7am....

Why can't I rejoice when I can get the opportunity to work an overnight shift? I always seem to grumble whenever I am called in to do a 10 hour shift.

Tonight I have to work an overnight shift at a nursing home...and I don't think I will be getting any sleep (we're allowed to sleep on our shifts). The man I am working with has a lot of pain, is restless throughout the night, and gets up frequently. I've never worked with him before and don't really know what to expect, which always seems to create fear and anxiety within my heart. Not only do I have fear while I am working an overnight shift but all the hours before I go to work. It seems like my day is eaten up with anxiety and distress, which is wasteful and prideful, due to my lack of trust in God. In scripture it says:

"Search me, O God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts." Psalm 139:23

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." Philippians 4:6

Why do I fear something that I have no control over? Why can't I rejoice in being able to serve others? At this current moment people in Haiti are going through much more immense struggles than we American's have experienced and people are working and serving so hard that some have not gotten sleep for days. Why am I so hesitant about sacrificing one night of sleep for another? Because I need a change of heart and attitude.

I am so blessed to be doing the work that I am--and I should be doing it joyfully whether or not I receive a paycheck at the end of the month. My heart can be so callous towards the needs of others and needs to be broken in order to humbly submit to God and His plans. I also need to be THANKFUL for all that I have been given and rejoice in the Lord, always.

Rather than grumbling I can look at this 10 hour shift as a time to pray and grow closer to the Lord as I serve someone whom He created, loves, and cherishes.

Please Lord change my heart. I love you so much and look forward to how I can use this situation as a learning experience rather than a drudgery.

Thank you Lord.

2 comments:

Heidi Stone said...

So....how did it go? :)


lipaterc

Hannah said...

I was up the entire night, but God gave me the strength to be patient and I got through!!!